The mandate given to Animal husbandry department is to build the health of the nation by increasing the availability of Animal origin foods like milk, meat and eggs to human population through scientific breeding, feeding and disease management of livestock. Besides, it strives to improve the wealth of the nation by enhancing the animal productivity and their production. In addition, various livestock based poverty alleviation programmes are implemented by the Department.
The charter of the the Animal Husbandry Department in brief
- Improving the production potential by way of breed up gradation in cattle and buffaloes through Artificial insemination.
- Providing preventive and curative health care to livestock through constant vigil on disease outbreaks, rendering preventive vaccinations, deworming and treatment of ailing animals.
- Augmenting fodder production to meet the nutritional requirements of livestock.
- Providing relief measures to livestock during natural calamities.
- Building awareness among farmers on profitable livestock production.
- Coordinating with health department in controlling diseases of zoonotic importance.
- Providing technical support to livestock based poverty alleviation programme.
- Updating the skills of technical aswellas Para veterinary staff at regular intervals in the areas of scientific breeding, feeding and management of livestock.